Tutorial Topics

Search for Tutorials Show All Tutorials Pricing About Us Free Trial

Tutorial Description

Apple have completely revamped the Airport Utility used to setup and configure their Airport devices. Now at version 6, it sports a completely new graphical interface and "hides" much of the complexity of configuring and managing a WiFi network.

In this episode, Todd Olthoff explores the new user interface and shows you how to dig in to find the information you need, and how to setup and extend your WiFi network.

If you're unfamiliar with some of the basic principles and terminology used, Todd takes you through the various configuration screens and explains all!

This full tutorial includes sections on:

• Hardware Considerations
  • Airport Utility Interface Overview
  • Basic Device Information
  • Configuration Window - Basestation
  • Configuration Window - Internet Tab
  • Configuration Window - Wireless Tab
  • Configuration Window - Network Tab
  • DHCP Reservations
  • Port Forwarding
  • Configuration Window - Disks Tab
  • Extending a Wireless Network
  • Conclusion

Video Tutorial Comments

(14 comments posted)

Pete Green

In previous versions of Airport Utility you were able to increase the power output,are you only able to do this on 5ghz channels now via the preset channels?
Thanks for an interesting episode

Todd Olthoff

Thanks for the feedback and question Pete! Yeah Apple removed that option in the new utility but you can run both utilities together. See Tony's instructions on running 5.6.1 together with 6.0. You can use either one to run your base station.

Tony Hynes

For those of you that need to use the older version of Airport Utility (there is the ability to do more configuration using the older until) in Mountain Lion you can still do so. The trick here is getting Mountain Lion to allow you to install the "older" version. But its fairly easy, firstly you need to download the utility - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1536
You can have both 5.6.1 and 6 installed at the same time. I used Pacifist to open the downloaded installer package and simply copy the app to my application/utilities folder.
You can get pacifist from the following site

Todd Olthoff

Thanks for sharing that Tony. I forgot to mention it in the tutorial for those who still want to use it.

Tony Hynes

You can get pacifist from the following site

Tony Hynes

I also forgot to add, that extending your wifi network is a great idea but it does come at the expense of bandwidth - if you can its better to have the access points hardwired to your network - but this is a great feature if you don't have a wired house/home etc.

Todd Olthoff

Great comment again Tony. Wired is the best but most (like myself at this point) don't have the wiring to do it. I am considering running it myself though:).

Johannes Minkus

Todd, thanks for the great tutorial. Just one question: How do I chance to a different DNS Server? So far I did not find a way to do it.

Todd Olthoff

To change the DNS Server go to the internet tab once you are in edit mode for your base station. Right under your router address you will see the DNS server address area where you can change the DNS server IP address. Hope that helps.

Terry Norton

Glad I watched this. Found out I wasn't using the high power channels or 5 GHz at all. Thanks Todd for an excellent tutorial.

Todd Olthoff

Thanks for the kind feedback Terry! Hopefully you'll notice better signal and speed with that tweak:).

Nicholas Barnes

Very good. Loving Todd's screencasts. Very clear and useful.

Todd Olthoff

Thanks Nicholas! Glad they have been helpful:).

Holger Baumann

Hi! I just updated airport utility and the firmware, but I can't extend my guest network. I've understood that's now possible. In the "extend" airport I can only see the two main networks (2.4 & 5 Ghz). Any ideas? regards Holger

Posting comments is restricted to ScreenCastsOnline members only.

ScreenCastsONLINE Monthly Magazine

Ember & Pixa - Organise Your Images tutorial is also available to watch in Issue 5 of the ScreenCastsOnline Monthly As a Premium member, this back issue may be available to you for free, or if published before you became a member, is available for individual purchase as a back issue in the ScreenCastsOnline Monthly Mag application.

Available on the App Store