Free Video Tutorial: MS OneNote - 2018 - Part 1 - Apple Mac, iPad & iPhone Tutorials from ScreenCastsOnline
Free 7 Day Trial

Tutorial Topics

Search for Tutorials Show All Tutorials Pricing About Us Free Trial

OneNote is a note-taking application from Microsoft that can be used on Mac and iOS. You can type, write or draw with the free form feel of pen to paper. OneNote allows you to search and add clips from the web to better illustrate your ideas. Tags can be used to sort and order your notes so you can easily find them later. Collaborate with anyone, stay on the same page and in sync wherever you are!

OneNote is also adept at handwritten notes on iOS, allows you to highlight what's important and express ideas with colors or shapes. It's easy to pull up your content from anywhere, even if you're offline. You can start on your laptop then update notes directly on iPad.

In this week's show, we show you the basics of OneNote on both macOS and iOS. You will learn how notebooks work and how to break them down into different sections to better organise your ideas.

The full tutorial covers:

• Downloading and Installing
  • Touring the Interface
  • Creating your First Note
  • Formatting Text
  • Creating Sub-Pages
  • Adding Pictures and Files
  • Searching Notebooks
  • Downloading and Installing (iOS)
  • OneNote Interface and Adding Text (iOS)
  • Drawing in OneNote (iOS)
  • Searching (iOS)

App Store Links:

Mac App

iOS App

Video Tutorial Comments

(15 comments posted)

Ed McCartney

I'm a Evernote user primarily because most of my notes are scanned in from my ScanSanp scanner and EN is a built in "scan to" option. It think it is possible to scan to Notes but it seems to require more steps. Otherwise, Notes looks to be a handy notes tool. Nice tutorial.

Richard Baker

Hi Ed!
Why yes you can scan to OneNote! Try downloading Office Lens for iPad and iPhone https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/office-lens/id975925059?mt=8 and you can have the option of adding to OneNote. The great thing about OneNote over EN is that itís just plain text (or files etc if you add them) so you can easily export them. PS I have an affinity for EN as well...shhh, doínt tell anyone ;-)

Simon MacLean

Hi Richard,

Nice to hear a ScreenCast from a fellow pom. I'm living in Perth WA. I'm a longtime follower of Don's, and have found his library of ScreenCasts very useful over the years.

I love the idea of the 'universal' note taking app and have used most of the popular ones over the years, Evernote, OneNote, DevonThink, etc. My current flavour of the month is Bear. However, following your helpful tutorial, which reminded me of the handwriting abilities it has, I may revisit it again.

The problem I have is I find some very powerful, such as DevonThink and Evernote, but love the simplicity and gorgeous UI of Bear. OneNote has some very useful facilities, aforementioned handwriting on iOS and embedding PDFs, just wish it used iCloud rather than OneDrive, as I am trying to avoid using a multitude of cloud services.

Anyhow, welcome on board! :)

Richard Baker

Cheers mate!
AUS is definitely different to blighty! I get tour point about Ondrive and the plethora of cloud services. If you use files on IOS then Iíve found it to be almost transparent now as theyíve recently integrated that. We use ON in school which is why I use it. I was a long time EN user though. Thanks for the feedback 👍🏼

Richard Baker

Cheers mate!

Gray Hodge

Like Ed, Iíve been using Evernote for a long time I have looked at One note before primarily in the hope it may become a replacement for Evernote. However, the last time I tried it, the evernote importer to one note made a complete dogs dinner of the transfer, so that was that! OTOH, Keep It, formerly Together, does an excellent job of conversion but I donít find it as easy to use as Evernote. I havenít finished the tutorial, I will say that, like Simon, I love to hear a British voice. But as a £10 Pom to the Australian Colonies, I am biased. 😉 Hi to you in Perth Simon, Iím on the north west coast of Tassie.

Richard Baker

Haha! Pip pip old chap! As stated above I predominantly use OneNote in school so have gravitated towards it. Used to be a big user of Evernote but the ďhave you heard of work chatĒ evangelists pushed me away. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Brian Prosserman

Hi,
I would love you to correct my understanding of One Notes ability to be shared with other
applications. From what I experienced, information can be
dragged or imported into OneNote but Notes creates in OneNote cannot be easily, if at all, exported to other applications (Evernote, Word, DevonThink,,)

I totally stopped using OneNote for this reason.

-BrianP

Gray Hodge

Thanks for the response Richard, (ďpip pipĒ? Haha, We donít say that in the south where Iím from...)
I would be greatly interested in hearing if any experience youíve had with bringing Evernote across to OneNote. Itís easy enough to do, but what OneNote does with those notes, and how it sorts them was a problem for me from memory. Cheers.

Gray Hodge

Richard Baker

Hi Gray,
I had terrible dramas with even getting the import tool https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote from OneNote to even work. Itís supposed to convert notebooks from EN directly to notebooks in ON and the same with pages. From my understanding it strips the stack info and tags and just makes a straight pages import. Itís up to you then to organise into sections etc. given the esoteric nature of both systems Iím amazed it even works at all!

Richard.

Gray Hodge

Thatís not good news, is it possible To manually import energy files into OneNote?

Gray Hodge

Gray Hodge

That should read ďEvernoteĒ files, not energy.

Richard Baker

Haha, I guessed that! I suppose you could copy and paste the info across, but if youíve got heaps of notebooks in EN that would be a nightmare. That being said, itís been a while since I used the importer tool. Give it another go. ON is free so I guess youíve got nothing to lose. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Posting comments is restricted to ScreenCastsOnline members only.

Video Tutorial Transcription